La politique d’immigration de Mme Merkel a déclenché un cercle vicieux de violence
by Soren Kern
Original English text: Germany: Spike in Stabbings
Translation: Karlheinz W. Gernholz
- Chancellor Merkel’s open-door immigration policy has set in motion a vicious cycle of violence, with more and more people carrying knives in public, including for self-defense.
- A 40-year-old man stabbed his 31-year-old wife and mother of their three children. According to the police, the man was upset about „the appearance of the 31-year-old victim on social networks“.
- A „dark complexion“ man threatened a 54-year-old train attendant with a knife when she asked for his ticket.
The recent increase in stabbings and other knife-related crimes across Germany sheds new light on how the security situation has deteriorated since Chancellor Angela Merkel decided in 2015 to welcome more than 2 million migrants * from Africa, Asia and the Middle East to permit.
People armed with knives, axes and machetes have wreaked havoc on all 16 German states in recent months. Knives have been used not only to carry out jihadist attacks, but also for murder, robbery, burglary, rape, honor killing and many other types of violent crime.
Crimes committed with knives occurred at fairs, bike paths, hotels, parks, public squares, public transport, restaurants, schools, supermarkets and train stations. Many Germans feel that danger lurks everywhere; public safety anywhere.
Police admit they are outnumbered, overwhelmed and increasingly unable to maintain law and order – both day and night.
Reliable statistics on knife violence in Germany – where the police are accused of failing to report many crimes, arguably in an attempt to “not alarm” the public – do not exist.
But a search of German police reports suggests that 2017 could be a record year for stabbings and knife violence: police reported more than 3,500 knife-related crimes between January and October 2017, compared to 4,000 such crimes in all of 2016 – and only 300 in 2007. Overall, crimes involving the use of knives have increased by 1,200 percent over the past decade.
The media in Germany does not report on most cases of knife violence. Those crimes that are reported are often dismissed as „isolated incidents“ unrelated to mass immigration. In addition, many crime reports, including police reports, often omit any reference to the nationality of the perpetrators and victims, apparently to avoid fueling anti-immigration sentiment.
But Merkel’s open-door immigration policy has set in motion a vicious circle of violence, with more and more people carrying knives in public, including for self-defense.
The epicenter of knife violence is Berlin , where some areas are so dangerous they’ve become virtual no-go zones. In Neukölln and other areas with many immigrants, stabbings are part of everyday life. According to the Berliner Morgenpost , immigrants are responsible for at least 45 percent of crimes in the German capital.
Bremen and Bremerhaven are also focal points of knife violence. In 2016, at least 469 people – more than one per day – were victims of knife attacks in Bremen. That says a Senate paper from which the Bild newspaper quotes. More than a dozen people died from their stab wounds. A further 165 knife attacks were recorded in Bremerhaven, an increase of 75 percent since 2014. According to Bild , migrants were responsible for most of these acts of violence.
Another trouble spot of knife violence is North Rhine-Westphalia ; Knife fights are rampant in Bielefeld, Bochum, Bonn, Cologne, Dortmund, Düsseldorf and Essen, among other places; Düsseldorf city center is particularly hard hit.
Many knife attacks appear to be indiscriminate, indiscriminate attacks on innocent bystanders—this is especially true at transportation hubs and public transportation:
- Munich , October 21: A 33-year-old man randomly stabbed eight people at Rosenheimer Platz, including a 12-year-old boy. Police say they „believe“ the perpetrator — a serial offender with a long criminal record — suffers from a „mental disorder.“
- Mönchengladbach , October 16: An 18-year-old Algerian illegally staying in Germany threatened a 65-year-old wheelchair user with a knife at the main train station.
- Hamburg , October 15: A 23-year-old man is stabbed in a restaurant – because of „accidental eye contact“ with the attacker.
- Berlin , October 11: Two passers-by are stabbed at Neukölln S-Bahn and U-Bahn station . According to police, the attack was accidental and unprovoked.
- Cologne , October 2: On the S-Bahn to Düsseldorf Airport, a man with a “dark complexion” assaulted and robbed a woman at knifepoint .
- Mannheim , September 30: A 31-year-old randomly stabs passers-by. Police officers fired a warning shot after pepper spray failed.
- Leipzig , July 27: A 46-year-old father who was staying with his family at an amusement park was attacked by a group of Afghan youth and seriously injured with a knife .
More and more teenagers, children and women are involved in knife attacks or become victims:
- Giessen , November 15: In a schoolyard, two children are threatened with a knife by two men with „dark complexion“ and „southeastern European looks“ respectively ; they rob them of their meal money.
- Dormagen , November 15: A 39-year-old man threatened a teenager with a knife on Helmut-Schmidt-Platz . The attacker is admitted to a psychiatric hospital.
- Wiesbaden , November 14: In a playground, a man threatens a woman and her children with a knife in broad daylight . The woman says the man tried to steal her dog; when she resisted, he attacked her.
- Cologne , November 2nd: A 39-year-old woman was stabbed by a man who was apparently drugged .
- Singen , October 4: Two 14-year-old Turkish-speaking children threatened several other children with a knife in a playground .
- Dortmund , October 1: A 15-year-old is stabbed in the Gustav Heinemann School after trying to settle a dispute between a 13-year-old and a 16-year-old.
- Freiburg, September 29. During an argument in a parking lot, a 34-year-old woman was stabbed by another woman
- Hermannsburg , August 29: A man threatened a 22-year-old woman with a knife because she was said to be holding up traffic in an underground car park.
In mass brawls between groups of different nationalities and ethnicities, knives seem to be the weapon of choice:
- Erfurt , November 11: A 22-year-old Afghan man is stabbed and seriously injured in an apartment building during a dispute with other Afghans.
- Rüdersdorf , November 11: A 19-year-old was seriously injured in a stabbing in an apartment building.
- Hamburg , November 9: Three men are stabbed and seriously injured in a stabbing in Eimsbüttel.
- Berlin , November 7: A 21-year-old Vietnamese man is stabbed while leaving his father’s late-night shop in Wilmersdorf. The killer is still at large.
- Bremen , November 2nd: A 20-year-old woman is stabbed to death during a mass brawl in front of a kebab restaurant . A man had been shot dead in a nearby supermarket just hours before .
- Hoyerswerda , October 25: A 23-year-old Libyan man was stabbed in the face in a fight with a 23-year-old and a 28-year-old Libyan man .
- Bad Wildungen , October 16: An 18-year-old is stabbed and seriously injured in a stabbing involving a dozen people.
- Eschwege , October 15: A 23-year-old Afghan man stabbed a 23-year-old Algerian man in a mass brawl at a refugee shelter involving more than 40 people.
- Dortmund , October 14: More than 40 migrants take part in a stabbing in a refugee shelter. When the police arrive, they are „massively“ attacked by the mob. Officials use dogs to restore order.
- Cologne , October 14: A 22-year-old migrant from Africa is stabbed to death in a stabbing with six other Africans on Ebertplatz.
- Öhringen , October 12: In a stabbing, a 17-year-old German-Turk seriously injures a 19-year-old Pole.
- Bielefeld , October 2: A 21-year-old man suffers multiple stab wounds after rushing to the aid of a couple who had been attacked by a group of Afghan men at a skate park. The police are looking for an 18-year-old „Iraqi or Kurd“ as the alleged perpetrator.
- Naumburg , October 1: An 18-year-old Afghan and a 19-year-old Moroccan are stabbed in a mass brawl between „foreign people of different origins“.
- Dortmund , September 3: A 34-year-old Bulgarian man stabbed a 54-year-old Turk in front of a restaurant.
Knives are also used in „honour“ violence and internal disputes:
- Bad Homburg , October 30: A 40-year-old stabs his 31-year-old wife and mother of their three children together: According to the police, the man may have been upset about „the appearance of the 31-year-old victim on social networks“.
- Oldenburg , October 14: The trial of a 37-year-old Iraqi man accused of stabbing his wife , who was also the mother of his five children who were at the family home at the time of the crime, begins. According to the indictment, the Iraqi killed his wife to restore „family honor“ after he suspected she was having an affair with another man. In truth, the woman had taken part in German courses.
- Eggenfelden , October 4: A 47-year-old Kazakh castrates a 28-year-old Ukrainian migrant at a migrant shelter; the victim bleeds to death at the scene of the crime.
- Leipzig , August 11: A 37-year-old Afghan stabs his 34-year-old wife, who is pregnant with their third child. The couple’s other two children were in the home at the time of the crime.
- Riederich , July 9: A 35-year-old Macedonian man stabs a 30-year-old Macedonian man belonging to a rival clan during a wedding.
- Herzberg, June 29: Mohammad Hussain Rashwani, a 38-year-old migrant from Syria, attempts to behead 64-year-old Ilona Fugmann in her beauty salon . Fugmann had hired Rashwani as a hairdresser, and the German media praised him as a prime example of successful integration. According to reports, Mohammad found it difficult to submit to his boss.
- Cologne , June 14. A 33-year-old Syrian man inflicts serious injuries on his ex-wife with a knife in a supermarket in Cologne . He also stabs his 13-year-old son when he tries to protect his mother.
- Cottbus , June 9: A 32-year-old Chechen man is sentenced to 13 years in prison for cutting his wife’s throat and throwing her out the second-floor window of their apartment. The man is convicted of manslaughter instead of murder because the court believes that the man carried out the „honor killing“ out of affect: he thought his wife had been unfaithful to him.
Knife attacks are also perpetrated against social workers and civil servants:
- Pfaffenhofen , November 11: A 28-year-old man with Kazakh and German citizenship and a knife held a 31-year-old clerk at a youth welfare office hostage for over five hours. He says he disagrees with her decision in a custody battle that leaves his one-year-old daughter in foster care.
- Göppingen , October 26. A man with a „dark complexion“ threatened a 54-year-old train attendant with a knife when she asked him for his ticket.
- Ahaus , October 12: A 28-year-old Nigerian man is sentenced to 13 years in prison; he had stabbed a 22-year-old helper in a refugee shelter .
- Saarbrücken , June 7: A 27-year-old Syrian man stabbed a 30-year-old Red Cross psychologist. The attacker and the psychologist are said to have gotten into an argument during a therapy session at a counseling center for traumatized refugees.
The attackers are often known to the police as repeat offenders:
- Giessen , November 15: A 29-year-old Kosovar and a 19-year-old Albanian man threaten a shop detective who catches them shoplifting with a knife . The police say the Kosovar has already been searched for with an arrest warrant. Bielefeld , October 31: A 39-year-old man threatens a police identity check with a knife . According to police, the man has a long list of criminal offenses, including burglary and drug trafficking.
- Dusseldorf , October 17: 27-year-old migrant Khudeda Jamal Jindi from Iraq stabbed a man in the face at Burgplatz . He is known to the police for many crimes, including other knife crimes. It is unclear why he was never deported.
- Arnschwang , June 4: Mostafa J., a 41-year-old asylum seeker from Afghanistan, stabbed a five-year-old boy from Russia to death in a refugee shelter. It is later revealed that the man has a long history of crimes committed in Germany; He should have been deported in 2011, but wasn’t.
Among recent cases of knife jihad is this:
- Hamburg , July 28: 26-year-old Palestinian Ahmed A. stabbed one person and injured several others in a supermarket in Barmbek. Although he repeatedly shouts „Allahu Akbar“ and says he is a jihadist who wants to die as a martyr, Die Welt writes : „It is still unclear whether Barmbek’s murder was the work of a convinced Islamist or the desperation of a mentally ill person . … His approach seems downright schizophrenic – or is it calculated?”
Among the other reported knife crimes in October are these:
Hagen, October 1: An unknown man injured a man with a machete at the main train station. Speyer , October 1: A 27-year-old man with a knife attacks police officers during a security check at the main train station. Werl , October 1: A „southern type“ man armed with a knife robbed a 20-year-old man.
Wilhelmshaven , October 1: A man armed with a knife and speaking German with an „Eastern European accent“ mugged and robbed a gas station. Freiburg, October 2. Two teenagers with „Turkish looks“ threatened two other teenagers with a knife in a public square and robbed them. Ulm , October 2: Three „dark-skinned“ men armed with a knife attacked and robbed a 20-year-old man.
Soest , October 4: An 18-year-old Somali stabbed a 39-year-old German man at the train station. Hamburg , October 5: A 24-year-old shop detective in a clothing store is stabbed while confronting two male shoplifters. Wolfsburg , October 6: Two men are knifed during a brawl at Hochring . Wiesbaden , October 6: A 23-year-old is stabbed in the city center .
Johanngeorgenstadt , October 7: The knives of five teenagers are confiscated during an arms control at the German-Czech border . Münster , October 7: At the bus station, two men threatened a 16-year-old with a knife and robbed him. Bremen , October 8: Two men are stabbed in a brawl in the city center .
Weinheim , October 9: A 24-year-old salesman is stabbed by a 46-year-old „customer“ . Hofheim , October 10: A private security guard is injured with a knife at an Oktoberfest . Cologne , October 10: In Cologne-Zollstock, a 36-year-old is stabbed at a kiosk by a 26-year-old .
Stade , October 11: A man with „southern appearance“ seriously injures a 38-year-old with a knife. Berlin , October 13: A man is seriously injured in a stabbing at Alexanderplatz. Kassel , October 15: Two „Arabic-speaking“ men with a knife threatened and robbed a 43-year-old woman in the Wesertor district.
Niederstetten , October 17: A 19-year -old stabbed a 30-year-old in the stomach in a restaurant. The crime comes after the 30-year-old allegedly „insulted“ the 19-year-old’s wife. Bremen , October 19: A 25-year-old man was stabbed by a group of men in the Huchting district . When the police officers arrive, they are immediately surrounded by a mob of 30 to 40 men. Police use tear gas and dogs to restore order. Berlin , October 19: A 19-year-old Romanian is stabbed to death in the Tiergarten district .
Halle , October 19: A man is stabbed in a dispute over drugs . Düsseldorf , October 21: Two men are stabbed by four attackers in front of a McDonald’s restaurant in the city center . Stemwede , October 21: Three members of a family are stabbed during a dispute . The attack appeared to have come from a 43-year-old man who disapproved of the boyfriend’s choice made by his stepdaughter.
Hamburg , October 22: An 18-year-old salesman in a mobile phone shop is stabbed by a 21-year-old who is dissatisfied with the service. Hamburg , October 22: A man is stabbed in the stomach at the entrance to a subway station . Dusseldorf , October 22: A 21-year-old is stabbed while trying to settle a dispute.
Rheine , October 22: In the course of a disagreement, a 20-year-old Romanian stabs a 44-year-old compatriot . Berlin , October 23: A 59-year-old man was stabbed and seriously injured in the Schöneberg district. Leipzig , October 23: A 21-year-old man is stabbed in a brawl at the main train station .
Solingen , October 23: A 19-year-old is stabbed in a fight . Berlin , October 24: On the grounds of the Jewish Hospital in Wedding, a 39-year-old man was stabbed by a 20-year-old man . Hünstetten-Bechtheim , October 27: An 18-year-old man was seriously injured with a knife at a folk festival .
Wangen , October 29: A 56-year-old man stabbed a 52-year-old man over a disagreement at a restaurant. Chemnitz , October 29: A 27-year-old Libyan man was seriously injured in a knife fight among North Africans .
Giessen , October 30: Two Syrian asylum seekers are stabbed during an argument with another Syrian in the city center . Waldshut , October 30: a 32-year-old man suffers serious stab wounds in a fight at the bus station in Tiengen . Frankfurt , October 30th: An employee of a housing company is fatally injured with a knife by a woman during the forced eviction of an apartment .
Kulmbach , October 31: A 38-year-old Turk stabs a 33-year-old German man during an argument. Berlin , October 31: In a stabbing among six men at an underground station in the Schöneberg district, three of the men are injured. The Berliner Zeitung publishes an unusually detailed account of what happened, which also mentions the ages of those involved but gives no information on their nationality.
Soeren Kern is a Senior Fellow at New York’s Gatestone Institute.
- The author’s statement of 1 million refugees in 2015 is incorrect.There were 2,136,954to read here.